Sunday, July 27, 2008

Beeautiful


IMG_0412
Originally uploaded by cathy_cmr
Yesterday we went to the Seneca Park Zoo. My husband and I took our 3 and 5 year old with us of course, and they had a lot of fun. So did we, though I must admit, the next time I go, I'm wearing walking shoes and bringing more water. I got pictures of several animals (though I've only flickred a handful), however this bee on the flower was one of my favorites. I'm taking every picture available to use as a method of honing my skills. Back to yesterday. The girls had ballet in the morning, and when we got home, we got them ready to go to the zoo. However, it looked like it was going to rain. It did. Of course. We drove out there and as we were, it poured. I was a little concerned because I don't have a rain protector for my camera yet...putting that on my list of NEEDS. We got there and it was barely raining anymore (it's only a 30 minute drive), so we waited a few more minutes and it pretty much stopped. So we got out and hit the first tent which was the spiders and scorpions...notice, if you look at my flickr, that I don't have any pictures of those. I swear my heart was racing in that tent but my daughter had a lot of questions. Good thing for the zoo helpers. About to leave the tent and...rain. We were trapped in the tent with spiders! (you could imagine my desperation to get out of there and the torment about getting my camera wet). It stopped...we were free. And it didn't rain again that day, but it did get hot and muggy. All in all, though, it was a very nice day. I could probably spend more time in the butterfly house than we did. If you're looking for an inexpensive trip out that you can do in about 2 hours, it's $8 for adults and $5 for kids over the age of 3. Just google Seneca Park Zoo. We got a membership yesterday, so I'll be going back more often! If anyone wants to do pictures there, there shouldn't be any problem. Be prepared for "I want!" from the zoo store, or avoid it all together, bring in food (I suggest PB&J or something easy like Lunchables...I hate them but in a pinch...), WATER, diapers if needed, walking shoes (wear them), breathable clothing, A spare pair of shoes for your child (and socks if needed), and a change of clothes as well. There is a wading stream that I refuse to let my kids in, but really it looks like fun (I haven't brought the extra shoes and clothes so I've not allowed it). There are playscapes also, and the trail is paved, so bring bandages, just in case.

0 comments: